Thursday, April 28, 2011

Flats and Handwashing Challenge - why??


She is the biggest reason I cloth diaper in the first place, she is one of the reasons I am taking the flats challenge. Most of what I do these days is for her. 

The other major reason I joined this challenge was to prove to myself that even if I was less fortunate I would be able to provided this "luxury" for my baby. I know most moms in the cloth diapering world would not say that it is a luxury to cloth diaper. I agree with them cloth diapering is not a luxury, but affordable. However, this is something I hear more and more from people who say they can not afford to cloth diaper (usually followed by time constraints, and ease of use). Flats are affordable, and hopefully through this challenge I can prove they are not time consuming and easy to use even with hand washing (so would be cinch for anyone with a washer and dryer). 


I am also excited that Granola Babies is sending me a dozen flats in exchange for a couple blog posts during the challenge. So watch for my posts at Granola Babies blog!

So now that you know why I am taking the flats challenge you probably want to know what the flats challenge is!
Kim Rosas from Dirty Diaper Laundry (my absolute favorite blog) is holding a flats challenge from May 23-May 30 where you use only flat diapers for one week.


What is a flat diaper??
It is basically a flat piece of cloth that is made out of a cotton material (birdseye is a popular weave). You then do different folds to come up with an absorbent diaper which you then place a waterproof cover over top. A plus to this system is that they are cheap ($29 US from Granola Babies) or you can use towels or flour sacks from walmart. If you are really up for a challenge you can by some material from any place that sells fabric. Also, flats are the easiest system to wash because they are cotton. I have rarely heard of detergent build up or other problems that come with synthetic diapers. Not to say that those don't have there place, but if you are in a pinch financially flats are just what you are looking for. Plus once you fit them with a cute cover you are set (who doesn't like putting cute things on their babies?!)

So back to the challenge...
Here are the rules (straight from Dirty Diaper Laundry):
  • You MUST use Flats.
  • You MUST handwash them.  How is up to you.  (bathtub, sink, large wash tub, portable non electronic washing machine, or camp style washer (bucket and plunger- think churning butter)
  • You MUST air dry them.  (indoors or outdoors, makes no difference)
  • You MUST limit your number of covers in rotation to 5 or less.
  • You can use any detergent you want.  (Keep in mind that you still want cloth safe detergents)
  • You can still use your nighttime diapers but I ask that you try to make flats work.  Maybe try a prefold wrapped in a flat.
  • You can use disposable liners.
  • You CAN’T use a diaper sprayer.  I thought long and hard about this one, but at an average cost of 40.00 this is one diaper accessory that is out of range for many families.  Dunk, swish, flush, or scrape!
  • You MUST start the morning of May 23 and end the evening of May 30.
  • You MUST fill out a completion survey about your experience.  Results will be published here and can be republished on your own blog.
That is it! Doesn't seem too hard right?! So click on the link below to join the challenge! Even if you don't currently cloth diaper this might be your incentive to try it out...you never know you might find out you like cloth diapering or even flats.
Lots of Bunny Hugs
(I can't seem to get the official logo working but I will update this as soon as I figure it out)






Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

No comments:

Post a Comment